Test your knowledge of the day and the events surrounding it with our Memorial Day quiz.
1. After which war was Memorial Day first celebrated?
A. The Civil War
B. World War I
C. The Spanish-American War
2. How many states celebrate Confederate Memorial Day?
3. What was Memorial Day originally called?
A. Day of Memories
B. Decoration Day
C. Remembrance Day
4. Why did the holiday founders choose a day in May?
A. To mark the beginning of summer
B. Because flowers were thought to be in bloom all over the country
C. So crowds could gather comfortably outside for ceremonies
5. How many cities claim to be the birthplace of Memorial Day?
6. What year did Memorial Day become a national holiday?
7. At what time of day is the national moment of silence observed every Memorial Day?
A. 3 p.m.
B. 10 a.m.
C. 12 p.m.
8. What major auto race has been held in conjunction with Memorial Day since 1911?
B. The Indianapolis 500
C. Coca-Cola 600
9. How many flags are placed on gravestones and niches of service members buried at Arlington National Cemetery each year?
A. More than 170,000
B. More than 225,000
C. More than 260,000
10. What is generally recognized as the Memorial Day flower?
B. Red poppies